National Poison Prevention Week: 3/20-3/26

Hope your weekend went well! Besides it being the first week of Spring, I wanted to bring your attention to another issue this week: National Poison Prevention Week.

I'm a huge advocate for natural (organic of possible) household, beauty, and cleaning products. It was only through personal experience (and allergic reactions), education, seeking answers, and learning as much as possible that I became aware of all the toxins in our everyday lives and how much it can harm us. We don't even realize it. I can go on and on about the corporations and companies who could care less about what they are putting into their products for the sake of a buck (and claiming them as "safe"), but I'll refrain...

Instead, I'll simply help to bring awareness to the issue. What you put in, on, and around your body matters. Illustrated above are just a few toxins found in your everyday lives. But don't fret, there are many natural alternatives! If this is overwhelming, start small. Educate yourself. Read labels. Question everything.

Start with greening up your home - switching out your chemical soaps and detergent for all natural (that works way better, in my opinion) hand and dish soap, detergent, and household cleaning supplies. Then work your way towards swapping out your personal beauty products - shampoo, conditioner, body wash, makeup, lotions, deodorant, etc. Then think about the clothes you wear and products you eat off of (i.e. those plastic plates, water bottles, etc.) Conditioning yourself to switch to an all-natural, preservative-free food lifestyle takes some time and effort (and lots of label reading), but that can be taken in baby steps, too. Don't stress out about it. It's the effort that counts, and one day you'll find that you're living much more chemical-free than you were (and be proud of it!)

And you'll feel good about the switch towards all-natural products - not just for yourself and your family, but for the environment as well! All those chemicals go down the drain and into our water supply and/or Mother Earth!

Of course, these are situations that you can control. There are other situations you may not be able to control but should be aware of anyway, such as asbestos and other environmental toxins, which are still widely present in homes, schools and spaces built prior to 1980. When broken or damaged, asbestos exposure can lead to a dangerous cancer called mesothelioma, and it's actually still legal and used in the US and Canada. So again, stay informed, question everything, and continue to educate yourself!

For more information along with poison safety tips, please visit:
http://www.poisonprevention.org
http://childproofingexperts.com/poison-safety/
http://www.mesothelioma.com

- - -